Welcome



Glad you are visiting!! Come back anytime.

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Poison Ivy...

or poison oak or sumac.... aaaaahhh, it makes me start scratching! (The lament of all those gardeners who are allergic to it)


First, let me say that the following pictures are items that I use in my ongoing war against this WEED. I do not receive any financial gain from their use. I only hope to bring some small form of relief to my fellow gardeners.

Yes, I have reaction to it now because I forgot to use my remedy because I got distracted. The remedy is most effective when done as soon as possible after exposure. When I know that I have been exposed, I first wash with Burt's Bees Poison Ivy Soap.



"This mild, cleansing soap contains Jewel weed to help relieve itching and irritation. You'll also reap the antiseptic benefits of Pine Tar and Tea Tree oil, so you can enjoy the outdoors comfortably. Wash the affected area with the soap, rinse, then wash again and leave the lather on your skin and let it dry for long-lasting relief. Treat the affected area 2 to 3 times daily."
I also use Tecnu Outdoor skin cleanser from Tec Labs http://www.teclabsinc.com/products.cfm?id=1F5604C8-9D05-4675-56129F6D83DF2417
and follow the instructions. Very important to treat the affected as soon as possible after exposure with COOL water.
DO NOT USE HOT WATER!! HOT WATER OPENS THE PORES AND THE URUSHIOL OIL PENETRATES THE SKIN LAYERS DEEPER...CAUSING A SIGNIFICANTLY GREATER REACTION!!



So, what are your remedies?

2 comments:

  1. I'm mildly alergic to poison ivy. I wash (yes with cool water - good point) with Fels Naptha soap as soon as possible if I think the noxious weed has touched my skin. I also toss all my clothing in the washer in case the oils from this plant have come against my clothes.

    Thanks for the other remedies. Good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of that soap... I think that the next time I go to SavMart I am going to pick up a bar. What the heck... I can add that to my rituals. grin.

    ~k

    ReplyDelete