Welcome



Glad you are visiting!! Come back anytime.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

gotta get outside

I had the intentions of doing some group therapy regarding the recent relapse of one of the horticulture therapy patients. However I abandoned that idea upon arrival as I decided that I needed to get outside and work off some irritating fears of upcoming medical issues (it is so nice to be able to just make this type of decision of where to work...inside or outside). And if I need to get outside to blow out some cobwebs, I figure that there are some other people with the same issues. Since everyone was wearing boots and jackets, I also issued gloves as I knew that we would be starting to do some landscaping stuff.



We spent an hour and a half outside logging in all the half whiskey barrels (about 35 or 40). We moved 4 of the barrels to locations that would be easier to water with our "Water Dog" (a 325 gallon tank on a trailer) that we pull with the Ford 250. Picture taken from the C and I Equiment website: http://www.ciequip.com/wtrailers.html At another location, we removed one of the barrels as it had started to disintegrate. Veterans enjoyed being outside.... doing something besides working in the greenhouse and the flower shoppe.


I had fun putting the truck into 4 wheel drive and making some of the guys nervous... I could just imagine the thoughts racing through their minds:
AAAAGH!! WHAT IS SHE UP TO? SHE MADE ALL 5 OF US GET IN THE TRUCK, AND NOW SHE IS ON THE SIDE OF THE HILL IN FOUR WHEEL DRIVE.... AAAAGH!
We went on the front hill and drove past the daffodils and crocus who were trying to put on a fantastic display. Can't walk the hill right now because of arthritis but at least we got to see them. Every fall we plant at least a thousand bulbs. If I get my way, by the time I retire in 5-10 years the front hill of the Medical Center will be covered in daffodils!


This afternoon we went back outside to work with new whiskey barrels that were delivered this winter. The barrels had filled up with ice but had started to thaw. So, I had the guys tip over the 3 stacks (21 barrels in total). We then turned the barrels over so that they could dry out in the sunshine. Was going to drill a hole in each of the barrels but ran out of time.


Topics for discussion today:
Different places that one has been, the Coatesville fires, people from the program who have relapsed recently, evolution of diseases-specifically AIDS, being clinically dead, military treatment variances of drug or alcohol addiction, kids going to college. Hmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment